What insurance coverage should you have?

Proudly Serving Clients in Seattle, Tacoma & nearby areas of Washington

How much insurance do you need?Minimum Automobile Insurance Policy Limits Are Not Enough to Protect Your Assets

Auto Insurance Policy Must Have at Least: 25/50/10

  • $25,000 of bodily injury or death of 1 person in any 1 accident.
  • $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any 2 people in any 1 accident.
  • $10,000 of injury or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.

The minimum amount of automobile insurance you should have is enough liability insurance to cover your home, family assets and future earnings in case you or your spouse or your domestic partner are liable to another person for injuries or death from an automobile related accident.  In the State of Washington, the minimum amount of insurance coverage to legally drive on its roadways is 25/50/10 insurance policy limits: meaning you must purchase at least $25,000 of liability to others insurance for each per person injured with at least $50,000 for bodily injuries insurance coverage to share between all the injured people per accident, and purchase at least $10,000 in property damage coverage per accident.  The 25/50/10 policy limits are the maximums the insurance carrier will pay to others for an accident in which you are liable.  Any amounts of damages above the policy limits you have purchased are your responsibility and your spouse or domestic partner’s responsibility to pay to others.  It is easy to see that if you accidently damage an expensive vehicle or cause a multiple vehicle accident injuring several people or strike a pedestrian causing serious injuries, the minimum insurance policy coverage limits of 25/50/10 are not enough to protect you and your family assets and the family’s future earnings. I recommend at least a $2 million dollar umbrella policy; it will only cost $300 to $400 extra. 

Recommended Auto Insurance Coverage: 100/300/50 and 250/500/100 with an Umbrella Policy

Most people should purchase at least a 100/300/50 liability insurance policy and it is recommended you should consider increasing your insurance policy limits to 250/500/100.  Some insurance companies offer a $500,000 single limit auto insurance to cover any damages from an auto accident.  Also many insurance companies offer “umbrella policies” of $1,000,000 or more to cover any general liability damages above your insurance policy limits, often for less than $300 per year if you have purchased the maximum policy limits on you automobile insurance.   

At Buckley & Associates, our attorneys are dedicated to helping our people who have suffered severe injuries in motor vehicle accidents. We can help you and your family recover the compensation they need. If you or a loved one has been injured, please call Buckley & Associates today at (206) 622-1100. We represent clients in Seattle and Tacoma, Washington.