Washington State has codified a set of laws to protect the elderly and disabled from nursing home abuse. RCW 74.34 covers adults 60 years and older who have “the functional, mental, or physical inability to care for himself or herself”. Often known as the vulnerable adult statute, the laws were designed to identify, prevent and protect vulnerable adults who have been abused, neglected, abandoned, or exploited by the nursing facilities and adult homes. The vulnerable adult statute RCW 74.34 gives a private party or guardian the right to sue for abuse, neglect, exploitation or abandonment. If the vulnerable adult prevails in court, actual attorney fees and costs are awarded. Below are several types of nursing or adult home abuses:
- Falls and Fractures: from Neglect or Improper Staffing
- Bed Sores (also known as pressure sores or decubitus ulcers)
- Medical Neglect and Improper Medical Care Leading to Injury or Death
- Wandering and Leaving the Facility
- Dehydration and Malnutrition
- Misdiagnosis or Failure to Diagnose
- Prescription Errors
- Abuse and Assault of Vulnerable Adults
- Wrongful Death
Has your loved one been a victim of nursing home abuse? Call Buckley & Associates at (206) 622-1100 today for your free consultation with experienced Seattle nursing home abuse attorneys.
We serve clients throughout the Seattle area and the state of Washington from our offices in Seattle and Tacoma.