PROUDLY SERVING CLIENTS IN SEATTLE, TACOMA, VANCOUVER & NEARBY AREAS OF WASHINGTON
Washington is often called the most bicycle-friendly state in the nation. However, bicycle-motor vehicle accidents remain a serious problem here, with the number of injuries and fatalities climbing annually.
Leading Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accidents happen because motorists fail to look for cyclists. You can wear the right gear, follow the bike laws, and still get hit by someone who doesn’t check their surroundings before turning or backing out.
Common causes of bicycle accidents in the Seattle area include:
- Drivers passing too close to cyclists
- Drivers failing to yield to bicyclists who have the right-of-way
- Drivers failing to respect bike paths and bike lanes
- Opening a car door in the street without looking first
- Drivers running stoplights or stop signs
- Drinking and driving
- Bad road design
- Poor road maintenance
Our attorneys successfully represented a cyclist who was injured when they abruptly lost traction and hydroplaned. We were able to sue the city for damages because our investigation showed that bad road maintenance caused standing water to accumulate on the pavement. We take pride in knowing that we not only helped our client move forward with their recovery, but also helped prevent a similar accident from happening in the future.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Cyclists are among the most vulnerable road users. If you were hit by a car while riding your bike, the chances that you were seriously injured are high. Our lawyers have a successful track record of representing innocent victims who have suffered catastrophic injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Traumatic head injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Road rash and permanent skin damage
Unfortunately, bicycle accident fatalities are increasing year after year. If you lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, count on us to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions. While a wrongful death claim can’t turn back time, it can provide the justice and compensation that your family needs.
Dos and Don’ts After a Bike Crash
Bicycle accidents happen suddenly, catching you completely off guard. The at-fault driver will often take the offensive and accuse you of riding somewhere you shouldn’t have. Keep these things in mind to protect yourself and your rights:
- Do call the police and request a copy of the police report
- Do get contact information from the driver and any witnesses
- Do take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries
- Do seek medical treatment even if you feel fine (it could just be your adrenaline)
- Do contact our lawyers for free advice on your next steps
- Do not downplay your injuries or the damage to your bike
- Do not talk to the driver’s insurance company without consulting our attorneys
- Do not feel pressured to accept the first settlement offer you receive
A bicycle is a legal vehicle. Bicyclists have the same rights as divers. These are simple facts that motorists often forget — or choose to ignore. You shouldn’t have to suffer because of their negligence.
Potential Compensation for Injured Cyclists
The insurance company will work hard to minimize the value of your claim. Our attorneys will do the opposite. We believe that you deserve full and fair compensation for your bicycle accident.
You shouldn’t rush into a settlement before you understand the full extent of your injuries. You may be faced with ongoing medical bills, an inability to return to work, emotional distress, and even permanent disability.
Our attorneys will pursue compensation for damages such as:
- Past and future medical bills
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Physical rehabilitation costs
- Prescription medication costs
- Bike repairs or replacement
Contact Buckley & Associates for a Free Consultation
If you were injured or lost a family member in a bicycle-car accident, Buckley & Associates can pursue the resolution to your legal case that you deserve. Call 206-622-1100 for a free consultation with a member of our diverse and multi-lingual staff. We welcome clients throughout the Seattle, Tacoma, and Vancouver areas of Washington.